Friday, September 30, 2011

Hey, I know you! You're me!

So far, this semester has been all about revelations. Not revelations like turning on a light in the dark, but more like turning on a light in a very dim room. Let me explain.

Things I thought about myself and my own interests have been reinforced: I never knew it before our class trip to the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit at the MMFA, but this designer's been affecting me for nearly my whole life! As a little girl infatuated with Madonna, watching the Blonde Ambition tour on tv, that gold corset made quite the impression. I never tried to dress like my idol, but somehow, at 9 years old, I could appreciate the couture. I also always marvelled at certain haute couture pieces without knowing a thing about them, and then upon seeing them at the exhibit, I went "ah! of course!"

A short-lived phase in my younger days involved becoming a Navy Seal, after having watched Steven Segal but out seriously slick moves in Under Siege. I didn't actually want to join the army; I just wanted to know the moves. As it turned out, Steven Segal is an Aikido master. Fast-forward 15 years or so, and I still think Aikido is awesome. I sign up for "Combative Fitness" as my physical education class, thinking to learn various martial arts, and it turns out my teacher is an Aikido pro. Synchronicity? Yes, please. Needless to say, this is one of my favourite classes...

I've always been "good at art", but (as I discussed in my previous post) was not one of those typically creative people (my mother will argue this, I know). I'm a perfectionist, careful and calculating, hard on myself, with high expectations. There's a place for people like me!!! It's called Graphic Design! Oh, those Fine Arts twerps can keep their interpretive line drawings and blind-contours; give me anchor points to line up or typefaces to render (and enough time to do it, mind you), or a page to layout and I'm happy!

Now that I've written this blog post (a bit overdue, maybe), I'm just going to go have a freak-out over the pile of homework I have for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment